Tuesday 23 June 2015

Getting acquainted with the vets and hospital

This afternoon I was wondering what to do when Henry and I woke up from our nap. We've spent quite a lot on days out recently so I thought we'd have a nice free afternoon and go for a walk by the river and to feed the horses. Poor Mr B was working late so I thought I'd do him a favour and take George with us too as he loves swimming in the river and Henry loves to watch him too. That would mean Mr B could chill out when he got home rather than walk the dog and we could all have a lovely evening together. 

That was the plan anyway.

We had a lovely time by the river but as we were walking back to the car I saw blood on George's leg and on closer inspection found a massive gash a couple of inches wide. He hadn't cried out, had been his usual daft self and he was also quite happy for me to touch it to clean it so I wasn't too worried, but he started limping an hour or so later so Mr B had to go straight to the emergency vet when he got in. So much for making his night easier! Not such a cheap night either, we ended up having to leave George at the vet so they could give him a quick operation under anaesthetic to cut the wound open some more, give it a good clean and stitch it up. My poor dog. They told us we could pick him up tomorrow but we are both desperate to get him home, so Mr B is currently on his way to pick him up so we can have him home tonight. At a cost of £365, my afternoon wasn't as cheap as I'd hoped!! Luckily we have pet insurance but are still £85 down....expensive bloody walk!! 



Tomorrow we are off to the hospital with Henry for his allergy testing. We have the antihistamine packed and our eggs all ready (yes, we have to provide our own egg....good old NHS cutbacks!). He's being tested for eggs, milk and soya and I feel sick about the whole thing. It's been such a long time coming so part of me is glad that it's finally here and the other part of me is so worried that it's going to hurt him. I think he may be having blood tests too, and I'm really worried about him getting upset if it hurts him or having to pin him down so they can do it. I know it's a minor thing compared to what a lot of poor babies go through, but he doesn't deserve it and I wish I could just do it instead of him. Hopefully we'll get some answers though, I'll post an update tomorrow night.







No comments:

Post a Comment