Saturday 15 August 2015

Our Portuguese Adventure - Day 9

We went for our morning walk bright and early and had the usual coffee and pastry once Henry was asleep (we're so predictable, I know). He slept for about an hour and when he woke up we had a wander around the town. We found the tourist information office which has a new glass lift which takes you right up to the top of the town, a place not really accessible with a pushchair, so we hadn't been up that high before. There was a few little cafes there and a lovely pretty little church which was beautifully tiled and had a huge tiled picture of a horse with a Saint Martin (who the town is named after) on it and Henry was particularly pleased with that!! 

After we had a wander round we got the lift back down and we were heading home when we saw the little tourist train in the street filling with people. We'd seen it around a few times but there was never anyone around for us to ask about it so we jumped at the chance to go on it today; we knew Henry would love it! He really did and loved waving to everyone we passed and shouted 'choo choo' in his cute high pitched voice. It was only €4 for all three of us, so we expected that it would drive down the promenade and then turn around but we were out for almost an hour. It took us right through town and up to the highest parts on the hills surrounding the town. It stopped twice to let us off to admire the views and it was really (and totally unexpectedly) great. We took some photos of the beautiful Atlantic Ocean and our little bay and had a really fun time together. 
After we'd finished it was lunchtime so we came back home and I made us a tuna pasta salad before we went out to the pool for a couple of hours. Henry played, I read some of my book and Mr B swam in the pool (it's WAY too cold for me to enjoy a swim, I go in for Henry and that's all!!).

After that was nap time but I skipped my nap today and read instead. I was desperate to finish my book and it was amazing. My Nan (who is almost 80!) has been nagging me to read a book called 'Me before you' for over two years now, and I've finally got round to reading it. I fully expected an old nanna novel but it's the most perfect book, one of the best I've ever read. I sobbed through the last chapter and it was well worth missing my nap for!!

When we were all up we had to get a few things in the supermarket and then we got ready for dinner. We went back to Boca do Mar, which has been my favourite restaurant so far and it was so so good again. We got a jug of the summer berry champagne sangria and I had chateaubriand whilst Mr B had sole. Henry had some really tasty and tender steak with chips and ate the lot, he was obviously hungry. 

After we'd eaten we walked along to the park because he's been such an angel that we thought he deserved to run off some energy and I'm so glad we did. I don't think the three of us have ever laughed so much in our lives, my tummy hurt when we left. Henry was just howling with laughter at his Daddy chasing him and running towards him while we were on the swing and he couldn't breathe because he was laughing so much. It was so lovely and a perfect end to our day.

We had a quick drink on the way back and Henry had an ice lolly and now we are all ready for bed back in the apartment. I can't believe we only have three days left, but at the same time I am starting to feel ready to come home. We are all so relaxed now, I think 12 days is about a perfect amount of time to be away.




No comments:

Post a Comment