Monday 9 June 2014

Proud Mummy

Before I had a baby it used to really annoy me when people said they were 'proud' of their children for doing silly little things, learning a new skill, winning an average certificate at judo class, you know the type of thing. I completely understood why you might be proud at a child's graduation or when they got their first job. I could even understand why you'd be proud of them for sharing their toys, doing something kind or just being a really nice human being. I just didn't understand why you'd be proud of your child for crawling or waving their hands....after all, nearly every person in the world can do it, why would it evoke feelings of pride when your son or daughter could too?!

It turns out that it's just a parent thing. Today Henry learnt to properly clap his hands. He's been doing it a little bit for weeks, but not really on purpose or on demand....more just to make a noise! But today he's been doing it all day for my mum and tonight, when Makka Pakka came on tv, he clapped and clapped and did a little excited dance. I was SO proud of him. How utterly ridiculous. I've turned into a crazy parent who is proud of their child for silly things. Give it a few years and I'll be posting photos to Facebook of Henry's artwork, proclaiming to the world  how talented he is and how proud we are. I'll be uploading every meaningless school certificate that he ever wins and every football trophy that he receives. I apologise in advance to every blog reader, Twitter follower or Facebook friend that has to endure my 'proud mummy' posts, I know how bloody irritating they are!

No comments:

Post a Comment