Wednesday 5 February 2014

The best things in life are free??

Now don't get me wrong, expensive things also make me happy. I love shopping. Handbags and shoes make me happy. I love eating out in expensive restaurants and drinking ridiculously priced cocktails. I enjoy posh holidays, days out and trips to Rockliffe spa.

The point I'm trying to make though, is none of that really matters. 

I was lying in bed at 4am this morning feeding Henry. The rain was lashing down outside and I could hear the wind howling. I was safe and warm and I was cuddling my beautiful boy, and in that moment, I don't think I could have been happier. Not if I was lying on a Caribbean beach, not if I was wearing a new pair of Louboutins. Some of the very best things in life are, in fact, totally free.

There is nothing more soul cleaning than a baby's laugh, full of total joy. There is nothing more beautiful than when they look up at you and their little face lights up.

You know that feeling where you have laughed so much your tummy hurts, your jaw aches and you are still chuckling away? There is nothing better than having a good laugh, especially if it's shared with others. I particularly enjoy a good giggle at completely inappropriate times. I love when you can see someone else's shoulders shaking and face contorted as they do their best not to laugh too. I've done some serious damage to my thumb as I've bitten it so hard as I've tried not to laugh. Good times.

One of my favourite things in the world is a cold walk with the dog. Brancaster beach is my very favourite. There's nothing nicer than a slow walk in the fresh air, dog running beside us as we chat about nothing in particular. I love how our cheeks are rosy when we get home and our toes sting as they warm up by the fire. 

Another favourite of mine is getting into a bed made with fresh, crisp sheets. Snuggling down in the duvet on a morning and eating breakfast in bed, rather than at the kitchen table, is an absolute treat, the best way to start a weekend in fact.

Other things that are guaranteed to put a smile on my face are cuddles, "I love you"s and uninterrupted sleep. Memories of happy times past and excitement for the future.

My family make me happier than anything else in the world. The smell of my beautiful baby, my husband's ability to make me laugh at any little thing, having a Muma and Parp that are always there, no matter what. Long chats with my Sister Nod, cuddles with my beautiful nephews and hilarious conversations with my gorgeous niece. Debates/arguments with my brothers, family dinners, totally unfair quizzes, muddy walks, snowball fights. These things make me happy. If I didn't have my family, no amount of holidays, shoes or handbags would make me smile the way that they do.

So yes, I do think the best things in life are free. Having said that, the second best things in life are very expensive!








If you're reading this, Mr B, it is not an excuse for you to buy me nothing for my birthday this year. Expensive gifts will be welcome, as always. Oh, and while I remember, our 3rd wedding anniversary is coming up and traditionally leather presents are given....did someone say Mulberry?

1 comment: