Sunday 6 April 2014

Letting babies be babies

When I was about 8 or 9 I was desperate to shop in Tammy Girl for my clothes, it was where the cool kids went and the clothes were more grown up than the likes of Marks and Spencer or BHS. I remember my mum always saying to me that I should make the most of being a little girl and wear lovely, pretty 'little girl' dresses for as long as possible. She told me that I had my whole life to wear cool, trendy clothes but only a few precious years where I could wear beautiful dresses with frills and bows and pleats. I thought she was a old-fashioned bore but she was so right and I'm glad she made me wait just a year or two longer. 

I love when babies are just allowed to be babies. There is nothing more beautiful than a babygro on a baby. Why people choose to take their baby home from hospital in a pair of tiny jeans is beyond me. Yes, tiny 'outfits' are super cute, but babies have so little time in which they can wear a white cotton onesie and I wanted to enjoy that time. Henry wore babygros for weeks and generally the only outfits he wears are cute dungarees or joggers and a t-shirt. Again, you can't really get away with dungarees when you're older than 5 and I want to make the most of him looking like a little boy. A few friends have bought us some jeans for Henry and he looks adorable in them when we go somewhere smart, but there is no way I'd dress him in them every day.

A few weeks ago I was looking for summer clothes to buy for our holidays. So much of the baby stuff in the shops is really trendy, similar to the stuff Mr B would buy for his holiday. The shorts were stiff and long, the tops were shirts rather than simple cotton t-shirts. I'm sure Henry would look adorable in a pair of chinos and a smart short sleeve shirt, but really, how comfortable is that going to be in 30 degree heat? We eventually found some cute cotton clothes and he looks beyond adorable.
Henry will only have a couple of years where he will be able to wear outfits like this. It's cotton and it's comfy and he looks like a baby, not a mini adult.
Like I say, of course he's worn jeans and other outfits, particularly if other people have bought them for us. But my very favourite thing to dress him in are his clothes that make him look like a baby. It is so scary how quickly they grow up.


No comments:

Post a Comment