Tuesday 1 April 2014

Making the most of today

Today I woke up and cried when Mr B said good morning. I don't think I've ever been so tired in my life. Henry was up 8 times in the night last night. I have no idea why. We cancelled all of our plans for today, to be totally honest I don't think it would have been safe for me to drive anyway. I felt so miserable and wasn't sure how I was going to get through the day with a 6 month old baby that needed constant attention.

But do you know what? The day is nearly over and it turned out ok. In fact, we had a pretty nice day once we'd both had a nap this morning.

Once we woke up from our nap we had lunch together then went out for a walk. Despite just having a food shop delivered, I'd forgotten a couple of bits for dinner tonight so we walked to Morrisons and back which was 5km according to my Endomondo App. The sun was shining and it was really quite warm and I loved it. We really should walk more often rather than taking the car all the time.
Henry fell asleep on the way home so I walked around the streets to make sure he had a nice long afternoon nap before coming home.
I then started dinner and Henry had a little munch on some celery while I was cooking. Mr B and I HATE raw celery. I honestly think it's the only thing I just can't eat. I'm fine with it cooked, I just can't stand to eat it raw. Luckily Henry loved it and it kept him busy while I cooked.

I made fish pie using Jamie Oliver's recipe, with a few alterations. The reason I had to use this recipe was because I'm not drinking milk at the moment because of Henry's allergy and every recipe for fish pie involves a lovely milky sauce! Anyway this recipe is basically very finely chopped veggies and cheese with chilli, lemon and parsley which cook down in the oven with the fish. I topped it with some mashed potato and it was SO good. I really didn't have high hopes but we'll definitely be having it again. We had it with peas, sweetcorn and broccoli, so a really healthy tea.
I love my new daily planner note pad. I'm such an organisation freak so it's nice to have all of my lists in one place! I like to plan Henry's meals in advance too to make sure his food is balanced throughout the day and I always have several 'to do' lists on the go! At the bottom it says 'three positive things from today' and today I've written:
• Henry drank 2oz of milk from a sippy cup (a MASSIVE achievement if you know about our bottle battles haha)
• A beautiful walk in the sunshine
• A relaxing bath 

It's always important to reflect on the positives and if you'd asked me at 8am, I wouldn't have believed that there would be any positives in my day. I'm so lucky to still be on maternity leave spending time with my gorgeous boy. Fingers crossed for a better night...

No comments:

Post a Comment