Wednesday 17 December 2014

Breastfeeding in public - Blogmas Day 17

I've had this article screenshot saved in my phone for over a week now and the plan was to write a blog post about it last week but to be totally honest I just don't know what to write. I'm baffled that anyone can liken breastfeeding to urinating; natural but something to be done in private. I'm baffled that The Sun think it's acceptable to print this crap (written by Jeremy Clarkson) when every day a pair of boobs graces their Page 3. It's obviously fine for boobs to be seen for sexual pleasure but not for feeding babies. So so wrong. I hate how overly sexualised our society is becoming, it's getting worse and worse every year and I hate it.
I've fed Henry everywhere, from posh 5 star hotels, to under the Disney castle, from trains, planes and cars, to a bench on the seafront one bitter cold night. I've fed him when he's been hungry, because that's what we do for our children isn't it? Sometimes the reality is, there is nowhere 'private' and comfortable to breastfeed when you're out and about and quite honestly, why should you hide away to do it? Newborns often feed for up to an hour, why would I leave my lunch to go cold in a restaurant and go and sit in a smelly disabled toilet for ages when I could carry on as normal, albeit with a baby discreetly latched on having his lunch too.
It just makes me so angry; I'm angry for all the women who are too nervous to feed in public because of what might be said, I'm angry for those women who aren't supported by family and friends, angry that our children aren't seeing breastfeeding in public more often, angry that people feel judged however they choose to feed their babies.
This isn't the blog post that I wanted it I be, but like I say there are no words to describe how cross this subject makes me feel. I certainly won't be buying The Sun again and I certainly won't be booking afternoon tea at Claridge's anytime soon either. I will, however, continue to breastfeed my toddler in public, despite how disgusting Jeremy Clarkson might find this.


On a brighter note, my advent treat was something I've wanted to try for ages; Urban Decay's primer potion for eyes.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing the info, keep up the good work going.... I really enjoyed exploring your site. good resource...
    Helba

    ReplyDelete