Monday 25 August 2014

Healthy Weight Challenge - Week 1

I'm not calling this a diet because it isn't. I'd never go on a massive diet whilst breastfeeding, the quality and quantity of my milk is way more important after all. Having said that, I've been eating really badly recently and we've got into some really bad habits with food, particularly after Henry had gone to bed. Pretty much every night would involve sweets or cake, fizzy pop or a glass of wine. Usually this would mean I'd be piling the weight on but luckily breastfeeding seems to be helping a lot and I've been maintaining my weight despite eating pretty badly.
Anyway, we decided last week that enough was enough and we needed to try to be healthier. We're still eating three decent meals a day, I'm still snacking when I feel hungry and I'm certainly not denying myself anything if I want it. This week, for example, I still tucked in to a massive fried breakfast in Ikea, a good few slices of homemade dairy free chocolate cake and a good few other treats as well. On an evening if we've been hungry, we've been snacking on watermelon and pineapple rather than sweets and crisps, and neither of us has had a drop of alcohol. The good news is I lost 5 whole pounds this week! 5 pounds whilst eating cake and fried breakfasts is amazing.
For as long as I can remember I've been overweight...literally speaking, my BMI is in the overweight category. I've tried a million different diets and found losing weight really difficult. That is until I got pregnant, gave birth and breastfed. It turns out that what makes a lot of people pile the weight on actually did the opposite for me which is great. I'm now at my lowest weight that I can remember and more importantly, only 7 pounds away from a 'healthy' BMI. I'm determined to make the most of breastfeeding and lose those last 7 pounds now while it's still so easy. So that's the plan, by Henry's first birthday in 4 weeks time I'd like to be a healthy weight. Like I say, no dieting...just eating healthily and limiting the treats. I'll keep you updated...



No comments:

Post a Comment