Tuesday 19 August 2014

The unthinkable happened....

December 2012 was a memorable month. It was our first Christmas in our new house, the month that our baby was conceived and the last time I had a full night's sleep. For some reason pregnancy meant that I woke up at least once every single night. If it wasn't my squashed  bladder it was my hips hurting, and if it wasn't my hips it was because I was lying awake thinking of all the exciting (but sleepless) times to come. 
Anyway I then gave birth to the world's worst sleeper. The weeks ticked by and I listened to my friends telling me of amazing 12 hour stretches of sleep that their tiny babies were clocking up whilst my little one barely managed two hours in a row. I had to constantly remind myself that I wasn't doing anything wrong but I thought of every reason possible to explain our lack of sleep....most of this thinking was done at 3am. Henry's reflux fully kicked in at 3 months and we went from bad sleep to hideous sleep accompanied by bouts of screaming from a sad little baby. A full night's sleep seemed a very long way off, and it was.
When Henry was tiny my mum would send me a text every morning asking how our night had been. I'd then respond telling her how many wake ups we'd had or how long our longest stretch of sleep had been. I dreamt of the day then I'd be able to send her a text telling her that we'd slept all night long. Well I am about to send that text message...
Yes, you read that correctly....for the first time in 20 months I had a full night's sleep. I could sing it from the rooftops, I never thought this day would actually come. Henry went down at 7:30, woke for a feed just after we'd gone up at 11pm and then slept until 6am which meant that I slept for a whole 7 hours without waking up. If someone had told me a couple of years ago that I'd be happy with 7 hours sleep and being woken up at 6am I would have laughed in their face, but I am ecstatic!! You might even be reading this and wondering what the fuss is all about, but let me tell you that after approximately 600 nights of being woken up...one whole night's sleep feels like I've won the lottery.
I'm under no illusion that this will happen again. I may not get another night like this for another 20 months, my son is a fan of keeping his mummy on her toes! But I now know he can do it and we'll get there one day. Now I'm off to dance around the kitchen while I make our breakfasts and Mr B's lunch for work...after all I have plenty energy to burn today!

No comments:

Post a Comment