Sunday 16 March 2014

Best maternity and new mummy buys

When you first find out you're pregnant you spend a fortune on maternity clothes and items that you never knew you needed...the reason that you never knew you needed them is generally because you didn't need them in the first place. With all the excitement of being pregnant, you are talked into buying so much rubbish that you just don't need. I packed so much into my hospital bag after reading time and time again about hospital bag 'must-haves' in magazines and online. Turns out that the only 'must-haves' we needed were a lot of change (Mr B's coffee and car park money) and mints for me (gas and air really dries out your mouth). Guess what? We didn't have either! I did however have a refreshing water spray for my face, an iPod full of motivational music, a flannel for my brow and high carb snacks...none of which I needed or used. I wouldn't like to think about how much I've spent on maternity and new mummy items in the past year. This has inspired by blog post today, this is my list of 'must-haves' for any mum-to-be or new mummy. 

1. Bio Oil
So many friends recommended this product to me to stop the dreaded stretch marks appearing during pregnancy. I probably only used it from around 20 weeks as it is on the pricey side, but a little goes a long way. Now, it could be a total fluke, but I didn't gain one stretch mark in the entire 41 weeks that I was pregnant which is somewhat of a miracle. All I can think of is that this oil really helped keep my skin hydrated. I used it before bed and first thing every morning and I even used it for a few weeks postpartum to help my skin shrink back. Definitely worth every penny.
Bio Oil RRP £11.99 per 100ml
Stretch mark free tummy 

2. Lush 'Therapy' massage bar
Following on from the above, I also used this massage bar on my belly from around 12 weeks. It sank straight into my skin so I could rub this on when I was wearing clothes, which I couldn't do with the oil. This bar smells divine too which the Bio Oil definitely doesn't. (Thanks to my lovely friend for keeping me stocked up with these for my pregnancy!!)
Lush Therapy bar £6.50 per 50g bar

3. Mamas and Papas jeans
I LOVED the 2 pairs of jeans I got from Mamas and Papas when I was pregnant. They were the ones with the huge panel that came right up over the bump and they were so comfortable. I wish I could still wear them now. They were on the expensive side, but they were worth every penny. I tried on so many pairs of jeans and these were by far the best. Needless to say, they've been safely stored away for baby number 2.

4. Lansinoh 100% medical grade lanolin 
This stuff is pure liquid gold if you are planning to breastfeed. It also makes a bloody good lipgloss, but that's beside the point for this blog post. I used it after every feed for the first week or so and I never had any soreness or cracked nipples. It could be luck, a bit like the stretch marks, but I'm sure this had something to do with it. It wasn't cheap, but I only used around half a tube so a little really does go a long way. If you are planning to breastfeed, have this packed in your hospital bag, it really was a god send.
Lansinoh HPA lanolin RRP £9.99 per 40ml tube

5. Lansinoh breast pads
Another glamorous product...haha. Giving birth and breastfeeding definitely isn't the most attractive thing in the world. I must have tried about 4 or 5 different brands and all of them bunched up, leaked or didn't stick properly. These worked perfectly. For any of my pregnant friends, I have 2 unused boxes in the cupboard that I don't need any more. If you want them, just ask.
Lansinoh nursing pads RRP £5.49 per 60

6. My Gownie
I took plenty of stick from my husband about this one but I stand by it, it was one of the best things I bought and every midwife I saw during labour commented on what a great idea it was. Basically it's a hospital gown but in a pretty pattern. The company that sell them do loads of different patterns and I chose a pink polka dot number to welcome my baby into the world! In all seriousness, it buttoned up the back and down both sides at the front which was perfect for having skin-to-skin time with Henry as soon as he was born and it would have been great if I'd needed a Caesarian or chosen an epidural. There was no way I was giving birth in one of those horrific hospital gowns they provide you with, with my bum on view of the whole world and 'hospital use only' being all over my first photos of my baby. Pink polka dot was way nicer! I got it from: http://www.theprettycompany.com/


7. Badger Balm
Now you'd think that when you were so sleep deprived and more tired that you ever knew it was possible to be, that you'd be able to shut your eyes and be asleep in seconds. Wrong. I found getting to sleep after night feeds so difficult in the first few weeks, especially as feeds often took up to 2 hours at times. By the time Henry was full and sleepy, I was starving and wide awake. My lovely sister in law bought me this balm to use and it really helped me to sleep. I'd also recommend some biscuits by the bed for when you are starving in the night. Belvita or other breakfast biscuits were the best because they have slow release carbs and contain less sugar than normal buscuits. Having said that, there aren't many times in your life when you're able to get away with eating chocolate digestives in bed at 3am so just go for it if that's what you fancy!!
Badger Balm RRP £5.99 per 21g tin

8. Primark Camisoles 
When I was pregnant I was really concerned about breastfeeding in public, I was worried about flashing my boobs at random strangers, despite telling myself that it really didn't matter and breastfeeding was totally natural etc. My poor mum spent a small fortune on 3 special nursing tops from Mamas and Papas with special openings to help feed your baby discreetly....they were a total waste of time. Every day i just wear a camisole (Primark £2) under my normal top, then when it comes to feeding I pull the cami down and lift my normal top up. It's so much easier than the nursing tops and means I can wear anything from my wardrobe. The Primark camis are great because they have adjustable straps which mean you can have them nice and  long to make it easy to pull down at the front. I can't recommend these enough if you're planning on breastfeeding.
Camisoles, Primark £2 each 
A bit of discreet breastfeeding/multitasking over lunch!


So there you have it, the 8 things I really couldn't have lived without over the past year. I definitely could have lived without the nursing tops, endless mum-to-be toiletries (that I'm still using up), cooling facial spray and relaxing music for the labour room! I'm already planning my blog post about our baby 'must-haves', magazines and the Internet would have you believe that you need everything to be good parents....it turns out that you absolutely dont...we've learnt the hard way and have a house full of baby related items that have never been used.

No comments:

Post a Comment