Sunday 26 January 2014

5 things I miss most about Essex...

1. The weather. As I was driving though Brentwood yesterday, my car informed me that it was 13 degrees...yes northern friends, that's not a typo...THIRTEEN degrees, not minus 13, thirteen whole degrees. Southern friends, you may be asking what the big deal is...if it reaches 13 degrees in July in Durham we wear shorts and flip flops...it's positively tropical weather. Jokes aside, I definitely miss those few degrees difference, especially at this time of year.

2. The restaurants. Mr B and I lived here when we had a big disposable income, pre-baby and mortgage! This meant that we ate out ALL the time. I miss the Lion Inn most of all. Their belly pork is the best ever. It's also where we spent many happy occasions, date nights, Valentine's days, the night before our wedding with our family. I think Mr B misses Omar's more, an amazing Indian up the road that serves the best fish curry in the world and lets you bring your own alcohol...heaven, if you are my husband. Essex is full of amazing restaurants and I miss them all (and the days of eating out 4 times a week...)

3. How busy it is. Ironically this is the thing that I hated when I lived here. I hated the traffic, the M25, the queuing. But when I come back I love how alive it is, how much is going on. I love how close it is to London and all that is going on there. I love how easy it is to travel around the county or abroad because of the transport links and airports. (I may retract this statement if I get stuck on the M25 or M11 on the way home with a crying baby!)

4. The places. Papermill Lock, Thorndon Park, Hylands Park, Lakeside, Bluewater, Maldon seafront, Barleylands, Marsh Farm, Stock Brook manor, Crondon Park, St Peter's church, South Weald. I could go on and on. Places filled with the happiest of memories.

5. The people. Essex folk have a bad name generally, TOWIE hasn't helped. All I can tell you is they are some of the loveliest, most genuine people I have ever met. I miss the children I used to teach, I miss their parents and I miss the ladies I used to work with; my Essex Mums. I miss my friends and neighbours (and doggy neighbours) and I miss my beautiful Essex family most of all. Some of my very favourite people in the world live in this county and ultimately that is the reason that I miss it so much.


No comments:

Post a Comment