Tuesday 28 January 2014

The school run

"How hard can it be to get them here on time for 9am?"

These are words that you would have heard coming from the mouth of Teacher Bee. Never again...

Yesterday I witnessed a school run from a mummy's point of view and I have to say, it turns out that it is VERY hard to get them there for 9am. Mummies on the school run, I salute you!

To be fair it was a more chaotic day than normal, my nephew's 3rd birthday. We were all up early to sing happy birthday and open presents...Henry and I still in our PJs, him smelling of sleep, me looking like a Mummy who'd been up 5 times in the night. My sister in law, however, was already showered and dressed, despite having been up late decorating the house with birthday banners and blowing up balloons. Breakfast was laid out all ready and the uniforms were clean and ironed, ready to put on. After the carnage of a 3 year old unwrapping his presents with an excited brother and sister watching on, it was breakfast time. Coaxing 3 children to eat a healthy breakfast is no easy task, I tell you. Whilst keeping an eye on who was stealing whose pancake and who had drank their milk, my sister in law was getting the packed lunches out and filling water bottles. The birthday boy was now demanding to open his new crayon set and his brother and sister were determined to get their hands on them too. Mummy came to the rescue and crisis was averted. I, meanwhile had just about managed to pour myself a glass of orange juice, still looking like I'd been dragged through that proverbial hedge, I might add. The children then needed their hair doing, clothes on and nagging to brush their teeth. As a teacher I've always admired the girls' hair when it's beautifully plaited, not a hair out of place. I always thought that when I had a daughter that's what her hair would be like for school. I can now say that my daughter will be lucky if her hair is brushed on a morning, the school run is way to stressful to include a fishtail plait as well! I can totally understand why my Mum gave me that horrendous pudding bowl haircut now. Surely that'll come back into fashion by the time I've had a daughter and she's at school, right?
At last everyone was ready and coats were brought out. Gloves were needed and so the search began. The smug teacher in me may have said something along the lines of "who sends their child to school without gloves on a day like today?" but now I know exactly why a child may not have gloves on. Trying to locate 3 separate pairs of children's gloves isn't easy at 8am...that's what pockets were invented for surely?!
The packed lunches were packed, money for snacks was put into a named envelope and homework and reading books were put into the correct bag. Finally they were ready for the off and the 3 children followed their mummy out to the car and off they went. I was ready for a nap, I'd never experienced so much activity on a morning. How they do that every day is totally beyond me. My sister in law is a hero, but I knew that already. They left and I looked around. It was like World War 3 had happened in that very living room. Wrapping paper everywhere, presents strewn across the room, discarded coats, odd gloves, water bottles. The kitchen didn't fare much better. Streamers from the birthday party poppers covered the floor, a sink full of washing up, buttery finger prints all over the bench...you get the idea. When I came back into the house later after visiting a friend, it was spotless again...like I said, my sister in law is a hero, I don't know how she does it.

So as a result of my new school run experience, I promise to never moan when the mums of children in my class forget the PE kit, dinner money, homework or school bag. I won't even judge when they send their son in with their daughter's swimming costume. I applaud you all for getting your children to school on time, in one piece. I can't say the school run is something I'm particularly looking forward to in years to come. I have to say, I will be making the most of a nice, quiet morning tomorrow but I will spare a thought for all of you school run mummies.



1 comment:

  1. Not forgetting she also did a great packed lunch for her husband too, made him his breakfast and even put a thermos mug of coffee in his hand for the drive to work. Amy you're a star. X

    ReplyDelete